Pennsylvania's Emergency Men

Pennsylvania's Emergency Men

Sunday, September 16, 2012

September 16, 1862: 5th PA Emergency Militia

Read the previous day here.

On the 16th, next day, we removed to the woods, building ourselves tents and huts like the Israelites in the wilderness.  The temperature was rather hot and the ground mellow.  I hesitated to lay down in the dust, but there was no other choice.  Finally submitting to the absolute necessities and accommodating myself to circumstances, I laid down with the expectation to sleep, but alas! I was mistaken in my bright expectations.  Some of my neighbors were singing, others using vulgar expressions, and some praying in a very loud voice and telling Heavenly Father what he ought to do, and that our cause is the right one, and so forth - consequently I could not shut my eyes for a long while.  In regard to combining vulgar songs and expressions with loud prayers I thought of the words of Napoleon: "From the sublime to the rediculous [sp] there is but one step."

Finally Morpheus took me in his arms and I fell asleep.  Sleep in the messenger of heaven to keep the equilibrium between the material and the spiritual world.  Without him mankind would sink into an untimely grave, under the pressure of trials and affections.

- Paul Wald

No comments: